Re: XSLFO fo:table-column alignment

Subject: Re: XSLFO fo:table-column alignment
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:19:47 +0300
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> > As for the inheritance, I see no difficulty in it: table-columns are
> > supposed to host inheritable features for their cell descendants
> > (I mean descendants in the area tree, not in the result tree).
>
>oh, are they? sorry, I missed that. even though <table-column> does
>NOT have children?

In fact, there is no concept of inheritance between areas: it's my
fantasy. But we have postulated a thing of the kind for footnotes -
in our implementation, footnotes can inherit properties from the
embracing area-container (fo:static-contents or fo:flow). I have found
no other solution to set common font traits for all footnotes. To
describe such a disrupted inheritance, it is straightforward to
reformulate it in terms of inheritance of traits between areas
generated by objects, rather than inheritance of properties between
objects themselves.

My idea was to extend the same approach to table-columns;
but it is not backed by the spec.

>are you telling me that <table-column text-align="center"/> is legal
>now, and does what I want?

No. I mean it is legal because XSL FO are deliberately unvalidatable ;-(,
but should not produce any effect.

After that, Anders Berglund wrote:

>You will have to specify
>
>           text-align="from-table-column('text-align')"
>
>as well for the cells to get the value from the table columns (since the
>value cannot be inherited in the normal way as the fo:table-columns do NOT
>have any children as you correctly observe). See 5.5.4 in the January 12
>Draft for a definition of the function.

(I wonder if this is more acceptable than just writing  text-align="start".)
Anyhow, we should specify this value explicitly on _every_ cell,
and process it there; no per-column defaults.

Here again, like in lists, the spec wants me to write lengthy expressions
instead of letting me set reasonable defaults. This is its current style.

Regards,
Nikolai