Re: how to include an ampersand in an html href using xt and xsl?

Subject: Re: how to include an ampersand in an html href using xt and xsl?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:47:01 GMT
> Most (all?) existing servers use the ampersand in query string to
> separate parameters

yes in the URL, but if that URL is in an XML file it has to be written
in XML syntax, so & gets written as &amp; most (all?) browsers do the
correct thing and the URL works.

> To the XSL community:
> In my opinion this is a flaw in the xslt specification.

You can not write an & directly into an attribute value in XML so what
you ask would be impossible to specify for the XML output method.
For HTML output method the xsl engine can output either & or &amp;
in attribute values since they are equivalent as long as the following
letters don't form an attribute name.

If your HTML system doesn't accept xxx?foo=bar&amp;xxx=yyy but does
accept xxx?foo=bar&xxx=yyy then it is broken as these are equivalent
forms in HTML.

David