Performance tips - got any?

Subject: Performance tips - got any?
From: "Mike Alsup" <mike_alsup@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:55:09 -0500
Can anybody share any general guidelines to use when writing stylesheets to
achieve optimal performance?  I'm fairly new to XSLT, but a couple of things
I've noticed so far are:

1.  For most processors (XT excluded) selection by attribute seems to be a
more expensive operation than selection by element.

2.  Selection using the double-slash ( // ) syntax seems to be very costly
(as apposed to using the absolute tree path for a known node).

What are some others?  In particular, I'm concerned about unwanted overhead
when iterating loops of hundreds or thousands of elements.

Michael