XPath REC questions: comments and PIs

Subject: XPath REC questions: comments and PIs
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:43:46 -0500
Just out of curiosity, what is the consensus about the relationships between comments/PIs and the elements which contain them?

[5.2 Element Nodes] includes comments and PIs among the nodes considered children of element nodes. However, the Rec seems to be silent on the question of whether a given element should be considered the parent of any comments/PIs it contains. (An odd omission, since it's very careful to make the distinction in the case of attributes and elements.)

What quote-unquote "should" happen if the context node is a comment or PI and you look back up along the parent or ancestor axis?

And are comments/PIs contained by a given element considered siblings of one another? Are they siblings of likewise contained element and text nodes?

Thanks for any insights!