characters with accents

Subject: characters with accents
From: Frederic Schwebel <schwebel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:32:24 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

I want to change all numbers (0 to 9) in MathML expressions into
characters with accents, because they are the right characters for the
braille displays and braille embossers.
I need both html and text outputs for this, and thanks to David Carlisle
and Phil Lanch, it works in html with this :
----------------

<?xml version='1.0' encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
  <!ENTITY bra1  "&#226;">
  <!ENTITY bra2  "&#234;">
  <!ENTITY bra3  "&#238;">
]>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'>
<xsl:output method="html"/>

... a few lines after ....

<xsl:template match="mn">
	<xsl:value-of select="translate(.,'123','&bra1;&bra2;&bra3;')" />
</xsl:template>

---------------

But for the text output (when i change the xsl:output-method)
it gives me crazy characters (actually 2 characters for one numbrer), no
matter if I look at the output with Windows Notepad, Ms-Dos Edit or a Unix
viewer...

I tried both with xt and saxon (DOS versions), both with UTF-8 and ISO
encoding, I always have the same result. I tried different ASCII codes and
I saw that any number after 127 gives me two "crazy" characters as a
translation. But the charset of my DOS box is bigger than 127, I know,
because I can get accents when I type the character on the keyboard.

I hope you understand what I mean. I don't know if it's really a XSL
problem but any help is really welcomed, I'm stuck...

Thanks !
Frederic