RE: Style Matters - A class act

Subject: RE: Style Matters - A class act
From: "Vun Kannon, David" <dvunkannon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:17:44 -0500
	My first response is that if Didier found it important enough to
write about, I found it important enough to respond to. ;-p
	I think there has been quite a frothy debate on this list, at times,
about the importance of being able to tie back to the source from a
presentation.
	The particular use of this functionality that I described was a
desktop application in which the GUI presentation was tied to an XML
archival (File/Save) format. A number of applications are almost in this
position today and the next generation certainly will be. UML modeling tools
such as Rational Rose (only an example) could save to XMI as their native
file format.
	In such an instance, you are correct that the user only sees the
GUI, but the application itself has to keep track of both node trees (assume
the GUI was SVG for argument's sake), map back changes from the GUI to the
source, and then style forward to keep the two in sync with each other.
	Many other kinds of desktop productivity apps are amenable to the
same argument, word processors, spreadsheets, CAD tools, network management
consoles, etc. XML vocabularies will creep in on little cat feet, from
File/Save As to File/Save, when developers realize there is little point and
much cost in supporting two file formats, an interoperable transfer syntax
built on XML standards, and a crufty old proprietary format that is held
together by baling wire and chewing gum.