Re: Combining XSL with DTDs

Subject: Re: Combining XSL with DTDs
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:44:22 +0000
Hi Lisa,

The reason you are getting the stylesheet's HTML displayed without data is
because the stylesheet's template (matching the root node, <xsl:template
match="/">...</xsl:template>) does not actually contain any instructions to
descend through the source tree and create output. All it says to do is
create HTML elements, which it is doing faithfully.

The simple solution here is within the table cells in your template, to
place some statements such as

<xsl:apply-templates select="[select some node here]"/>
 or
<xsl:value-of select="[select some node here]"/>

These should work for your case because the data is highly structured. In a
more general case, you would want to break up the processing logic into
several different templates, as a more robust and versatile solution.

XSL Info has some tutorials listed at

http://xslinfo.com/tutorials/ ... check them out to learn more about
templates. But keep in mind that as long as you're using IE5, you're
probably on your own to an extent, since the technology has progressed
since that was released a year ago.

Your instance and DTD are fine, although you do not need the internal
subset (the stuff in [ ]) in your DOCTYPE declaration since all it does is
call the same file you've named in the SYSTEM identifier.

Have a good weekend, XSLers--!

--Wendell