Re: Which one to choose

Subject: Re: Which one to choose
From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:42:36 -0800
Ural,

Portal sites typically strive for a personalized
experience. Personalization involves tracking lots
of information about each user, their interests,
their preferences, their screen layouts, etc.
Serving personalized content involved querying
your content repository to match various per-user
preferences/interests against your smorgasbord
of articles, stories, streaming video/audio, etc.

Having all your content removed from a database
and stored physically as XML files, you'll lose
the lightning-fast query times that enterprise
relational databases can give the portal. The
strategy most are going for is dynamically
serving "slices" of data from (sometimes fairly
hairy and finely-performance-tuned) SQL queries
as dynamic XML content for XSLT-transforming
it into:

 -> industry-standard DTD's for data exchange
 -> beautiful web pages

Leading databases make this easy to do, to get
the full performance, reliability, and
maintainability benefits of existing relational
technology with the key benefits of XML.

You might check out Oracle's free "XSQL Pages"
technology and the accompanying XSQL Servlet that
makes doing this *really* easy with your favorite
relational database (including ACCESS, if you use
the JDBC/ODBC driver) and your favorite servlet
engine -- not only Oracle.

http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/xsql_servlet

Steve Muench, Lead XML Evangelist / Consulting Product Mgr
Oracle Corp, Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml