RE: call-template question

Subject: RE: call-template question
From: "Carl Soane" <csoane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:23:38 -0800
>> Is it possible to call a template and pass in as a parameter the name of
the template you would like the called template to call?

Here's a previously posted answer to an almost identical question:

<previous_answer>
Can't be done with call-template, except by an xsl:choose instruction that
lists all the possibilities.

You could achieve the effect with apply-templates with a bit of deviousness.

Change your named template from
<xsl:template name="xyz">
<xsl:template name="xyz" match="xsl:template[@name='xyz']"/>

and call it like this:
<xsl:variable name="tname" select="'xyz'"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="document('')/*/xsl:template[@name=$tname]"/>

However, this will change the current node and node list; if the named
template needs these, they'll have to be passed as parameters.

I suspect if you go back to the original problem, there is a better solution
than this.

Mike Kay

</previous_answer>

so, in your case, the  xsl would look like this:

<xsl:template match="/">
<HTML>
<xsl:call-template name="buildpage">
  <xsl:with-param name="nexttemplate">buildbody</xsl:with-param>
</xsl:call-template>
</HTML>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="buildpage">
<xsl:param name="nexttemplate">defaulttemplate</xsl:param>
 <xsl:value-of select="$nexttemplate"/>
 <xsl:apply-templates
select="document('')/*/xsl:template[@name=$nexttemplate]"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="buildbody" match="xsl:template[@name='buildbody']">
<BODY>
</BODY>
</xsl:template>

Here's a (non-working) example of what I am trying to do:

<!-- / Template -->

<xsl:template match="/">
<HTML>
<xsl:call-template name="buildpage">
        <xsl:with-param name="nexttemplate">buildbody</xsl:with-param>
</xsl:call-template>
</HTML>
</xsl:template>

<!-- buildpage Template -->

<xsl:template name="buildpage">
        <xsl:param name="nexttemplate">defaulttemplate</xsl:param>
        <xsl:value-of select="$nexttemplate"/>
        <xsl:call-template name="{$nexttemplate}"/>
</xsl:template>

<!-- buildbody Template -->

<xsl:template name="buildbody">
<BODY>
</BODY>
</xsl:template>

I get the error "No named template "{$nexttemplate}" found" when the line
<xsl:call-template name="{$nexttemplate}"/>
is processed.  I am able to get the value of $nexttemplate though...

Joni