RE: breaking up <tags> is hard to do

Subject: RE: breaking up <tags> is hard to do
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:35:30 -0000

> I'm trying to set an opening tag attribute based on the value
> of my input;
> simple enough except that my closing tag needs to be outside
> of my select
> template. How can I tell XSLT that I've taken care of my
> closing tag further
> along in my stylesheet so I don't get a nesting error?

You need to change mindset. XSLT doesn't output tags, it outputs trees. I
found this took months to get used to, but you have to do it. You need to
find a way of constructing your stylesheet so that a single element in the
stylesheet outputs a single element in the result tree, you can't output the
start tag from one place and the end tag from another, because you can't
have half a node on your tree. Unless of course you resort to dirty tricks,
otherwise known as disable-output-escaping: but avoid that if you can.

Mike Kay