Re: Variables...

Subject: Re: Variables...
From: Steve Tinney <stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:10:02 -0500
> I have got a global variable in XSL (declared at the begginning), how do I
> set it's value later on in the stylesheet.  If I use

You don't.  You can't.  Unless you use an XSL processor with an evil
extension like saxon:assign.

> <xsl:variable...></xsl:variable> then doesn't that just create a new local
> variable, instead of using the global one?

Yes, exactly.  A local variable may shadow a global one in XSL, but it
may not shadow another local one within the same template.

My experience is that if one is trying to solve a problem with
assignment, one is probably not thinking at the problem in the XSL way.
I am not 100% convinced, though, that there are no problems out there
which really do need (at least in practical terms) assignment.

Perhaps if you illustrate the problem you're trying to solve someone can
suggest a more XSL-ish approach?

 Steve