Re: The Lazy Syntax for XSLT, or TLSX

Subject: Re: The Lazy Syntax for XSLT, or TLSX
From: Nicole Gustas <ngustas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:55:18 -0500
"Beckers, Marc" wrote:

> Unless you know no programming language to start with.
> Speaking as a technical writer, moving from DTP to Web publishing
> means that we must concern ourselves with stylesheet languages -
> an additional, programming-like step in the documentation production
> process.
> Once you have written some XML, XSL is relatively easy to learn, even
> if some consider it "verbose" (which, paradoxically, may be the reason
> for it being easy to learn and read). I would hate to see XSL dragged
> over-proportionately towards the "programmers' end" of the Web.

I have to agree with Marc here.  I haven't done any programming, and XML is
the closest I've come so far.  I've just gotten a handle on it, and I think
it's because it's so verbose that I can make more sense of it.  The idea of
having an "XSL shorthand" that one could use after she got up to speed in it
isn't a bad idea - but I think it would be a while before I could hack that.

- Nikki