RE: Some Questions (2nd try)

Subject: RE: Some Questions (2nd try)
From: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:50:52 +0100
>     1.- What about the output of the XSL Transformation? The
> ouput could be an .rtf or .biff file with binary data and not a
well-formed
> document?
> I mean, I want to transform some XML data in a Word document (or
> something that MSWord could understand) it's that possible?, or I have
> to use formatting objects and some kind of parser?

I suppose it's possible if you use the text output facility of an XSLT
processor. Id'd probably be easier with formatting objects, but I don't
think there currently are XSL-fo processors that can produce RTF. Most of
them output to PDF (or TeX).
A good alternative in your case could be DSSSL...
(http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/)
I found it very easy to use for producing RTF.

>     2.- Imagine the ouput of an SQL query with a 'group by' sentence,
> and maybe, with total fileds for each group of rows. For each group, I
> don't want to repeat the fileds with the same values (the fields that
> define the group). Can XSL-T do something like that?:

Grouping with XSLT is a FAQ, I think. Yes, it's possible, but it's usuallly
recommended to use an extension function because otherwise it's very bad for
performance.

>         a) To control when some values changing and
>         b) Do the totals of some fields, the totals for each group of
> rows.
There's a sum() function in XPath.

Linda