Re: Relationship between XSLT and ASP (was Re: asp problem)

Subject: Re: Relationship between XSLT and ASP (was Re: asp problem)
From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:40:01 -0800
| I think that XSLT could be a really sh*t-kicking
| server-side scripting  language- especially once MS
| allows us to get XML streams directly into the
| XSLT engine from ADO recordsets or from SQL
| Server 2000 queries. This will allow direct transforms
| of XML streams into relevant HTML for down-level
| browsers, or filter-through schema conversion types
| of transformations as well.
|
| Has anyone else reached a similar kind of conclusion?

This is precisely what the Oracle XSQL Pages
(and accompanying XSQL Servlet) do for you today.
Once we unify XSQL Pages "action elements" into
the XSLT Extension Element mechanism, it will
be very, very powerful and general.

SQL + XML + XSLT = Power! :-)

Works with any database and any servlet engine.

http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/xsql_servlet

Click on the "software" icon to download.

| Does this relate similarly to the Cocoon efforts at Apache?

The Apache Cocoon project's SQL Processor does
something similar to XSQL Servlet's <xsql:query>
action element as well as Microsoft SQL Server's XML
Tech Preview's <sql:query> tag. Try them all
and then pick the one you like! Can't beat the price
on any of them! ;->

Steve Muench, Lead XML Evangelist / Consulting Product Mgr
Oracle Corp, Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml