Balanced Two column tables

Subject: Balanced Two column tables
From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:44:06 -0000
Hi,

I'm wrestling with the age old problem of generating two-column
output from one column data.

I've checked the FAQ (my first point of call), and found that
4.17.1 ought to do the trick. After wrestling with it for
a while I found that it didn't. I checked the archive, and
Mike Brown actually posted a slight correction to his solution
which hasn't yet made it into the FAQ

http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/archive/msg08048.html

(there's also a missing & in the test expression).

However having made these corrections I found that the generated
table didn't actually produce what I wanted. I ended up
with

...etc...

Which is what you'd expect from Mikes template. But this
doesn't do what Philip Borensteins original did (I've
just substituted that and it works).

http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/archive/msg08040.html

So, my questions are:

1. is there an optimised version of Philips solution, or
an alternative, correct version of Mikes.

2. is there any way to get a &nbsp; into the last column
if theres not an even number of items (Mikes solution provides
this, Philips didn't).

Cheers,

L.

    "Never Do With More, What Can Be Achieved With Less"
				---William of Occam
Leigh Dodds                             Eml:  ldodds@xxxxxxxxxxx
ingenta ltd                             Tel:  01225 826619
BUCS Building, University of Bath       Fax:  01225 826283

Eclectic				http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic
XML Deviant				http://www.xml.com/pub/xmldeviant