Re: XSLT vs Omnimark

Subject: Re: XSLT vs Omnimark
From: Michel CASABIANCA <casa@xxxxxx>
Date: 06 Mar 2000 18:07:08 +0100
Hello

Louis-Dominique Dubeau <ldd@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Or they will compile Java to native binary code.  A lot of work is
> done on JIT-compiling.  Of course, the problem with JIT... if it is
> really JIT... is that your startup time may be significant.

Yes, and you can increase startup time by disabling JIT in
the script launching your Java program. This is interesting
when the program will run a short time (as XSL engines).
With UNIX, you would add in your script :

export JAVA_COMPILER=

You can save a lot of time this way.

The situation is different for Servlets because the Java code
is compiled once for all and because the VM is allready started
when XSL engine operates.

> The work there could be taken one step further though and have the
> whole thing cached or just plain compiled like C++ is.  (I'm not
> saying that there are not caveats or that this is simple: just
> that this is possible.)

Yes, and the Java VM should be a daemon, saving startup time.