Re: xsl for formatting

Subject: Re: xsl for formatting
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 19:54:30 +0000 (GMT)
violet wright writes:

 > 1) Do you have any examples of xml documents with accompanying xsl
 > stylesheets which present some of the examples which you refer to? I would
 > appreciate any material.

Example: I maintain XSL style sheets for TEI documents
(http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/tei/). In the TEI, there is an element
<divGen>, typically used as

 <divGen type="toc"/>

meaning "make a table of contents here". Is that "creative"? Anyway,
there is no way to define a CSS rule for "divGen" (unless CSS3 has
gone into this sort of thing), it needs something like XSL to
instantiate it.

I am always puzzled by the acceptance and praise that CSS gets,
when the implementations are so abysmal (yes, yes, Opera excepted). My
CSS stylesheet at work gets smaller and smaller, in an attempt NOT to
produce ridiculous results on users screens (for instance, I abandoned
all attempt at font sizes, because Netscape gives such bizarre results)

Sebastian