Re: Joining two trees

Subject: Re: Joining two trees
From: Steve Tinney <stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:54:21 -0500
> <Root>
>         <Category value="Arts, Entertainment, &amp; Media">
>             <Subject value="African-American Literature">
>            <Person value="RAIMON">
>                     <Alias>RAIMON</Alias>
>                 <Name>Eve Raimon</Name>
>                 </Person>
>             </Subject>
>         </Category>
>         <Category value="Arts, Entertainment, &amp; Media">
>             <Subject value="African-American Literature">
>                 <Person value="JKUENZ">
>                     <Alias>JKUENZ</Alias>
>                     <Name>Jane Kuenz</Name>
>                 </Person>
>             </Subject>
>         </Category>
> </Root>
>
> As you can see, the Category and Subject nodes repeat, Is there a
> way I can collapse them into just 1 set of Category and Subject nodes?
> I want to iterate over the data and group people who are from similar
> categories and subjects.

Yes, you can do it in XSLT 1.0, but it sounds as though you need to
spend some time with the faq and the specs first.  You don't say whether
you have only one case of Category/@value and Subject/@value that you
want to group with, or whether either @value can have a variety of
values.  This impacts on the answers we can give here.

In general, to solve this kind of problem you can either use a processor
like Saxon, which provides an extension function called saxon:group, or
do more work with sorting, variables and RTF-to-nodeset conversion.

 Steve