conditional processing

Subject: conditional processing
From: "Kari M. Scott" <kmscott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:11:43 -0600 (CST)
I'm using Cocoon.  In my XML file, I have the following query:
 <query connection="foo_connection" doc-element="STAFF"
row-element="STAFFROW">
        select firstname, lastname, cat_name from staff_list, expert_list,
category where staff_id=staff_list.id AND category_id=category.id AND
category.id={@category}
 </query>

In my XSL file, I'd like to output a header once, then list all of the
results.  What I currently have generates the header for each row.  I'd
like to use <xsl:if>, but I can't find a condition that's different for
each row. I've generated count(), position(), and node() and they are the
same for every row.  The only item which is different is generate-id(),
but if I try to assign this to a variable, it simply gets re-assigned with
every row.  Is there a way to capture the row number?  Or, is there a way
I can capture only the first generate-id()? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
-Kari

Kari M. Scott
Berbee