RE: Flat-file conversion to XML (WAS: [no subject])

Subject: RE: Flat-file conversion to XML (WAS: [no subject])
From: "Robert C. Lyons" <boblyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:42:29 -0500
> > I have been put on a project to convert our EDI files from a
> > X12 flat file
> > format to XML. Are there any good sites or tutorials out
> > there to look at??
>
> You might want to take a look at XFlat/XConvert:
>       http://www.unidex.com/xflat.htm
> Basically, you feed the the XConvert package your flat file
> and a schema
> which describes its structure. Out comes an XML file.

XML Convert can convert most X12 files to XML; however,
it's not straightforward to write an XFlat schema that
handles composite data elements and optional data elements
that can be truncated from the end of a segment.

For an outbound X12 file, it would be much easier to
convert the flat file into XML using XML Convert
(rather than converting the flat file into X12 using
the EDI translator and then converting the X12 into
XML using XML Convert).

For an inbound X12 file, it would be much easier to
translate the X12 file into a flat file using your
EDI translator, and then translate the flat file
into XML using XML Convert. However, this
involves a double translation.

Some of the EDI translators can convert between X12
and XML. I believe that Mercator and Redix offer
translators with this capability.

Bob

------
Bob Lyons