RE: Future XSLT expansion.

Subject: RE: Future XSLT expansion.
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:11:49 -0500
Hi Jon,

Jon said:
A while ago I exchanged direct email with James Clark that indicated that it
is indeed not legal to convert the contents of a variable into a node-set.
His response was that's what document('') is for. I did find this to be
non-obvious but it does work and XT is correct.

Didier replies:
Reading the specs again and again, it is not crystal clear that a result
tree is different than a node set. It could be interpreted that a result
tree is a single member node set. Even if the specs mention that it is a
fourth type, it is not explicitly stated that this type is not a subset of
node sets and this may lead to different interpretations. In fact, the specs
should have mentioned (maybe it is, but I didn't found where) that the
result tree type is not equivalent to a node set and that it can not be
treated as a node set's subset. Therefore, this would mean that the
xsl:apply-templates construct cannot be applied to a result tree because the
result tree is not a subset of the node-set. So, like it is the case in the
law domain, because the specs are not enough explicit do we rely on a)
jurisprudence and take XT as the jurisprudence, or b) rely on the
specification document and have different interpretations. Maybe XSLT 2.0
should have a section about the XSLT types and a better definition of them
and include also the relationship between the types (i.e. like inheritance
or lack of)

cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx