Re: Future XSLT extensions. document(). Summary.

Subject: Re: Future XSLT extensions. document(). Summary.
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:46:49 -0800
> >Are you saying that XSLT has a standard way of "getting list from the
> >database" ?
>
> No, I apologize.  I have a servlet defined at a URI to return XML from the
> database using a query string.

I apologize for repeating myself, but you get the overhead
on every request ( invokation of the servlet ).

With to-nodeset(string) in the core what you can do is:

1. Place your servlet into XSLT exntension. myext.jar
( No coding required - you already have your java code in place ).

2. Call

<xsl:variable name="list_as_xml_string" select="myext:query('select * from list_table')"/>
<xsl:variable name="list_as_node_set" select="to-nodeset($list_as_xml_string)"/>

And then do whatever you like with  $list_as_node_set

More. You can now use the same myext.jar with almost any XSLT engine
written in java.

To get it even more efficient, you can base your myext.jar on a 'native node-set' ,
but:

1. Because your list is short - you'l not get too much benefit from that.
2. That will be *much* harder to base your dataflow on the node-set
and you'l not get the *that* much portability ( why - has been  answered
in my previous letters ).

Rgds.Paul.

PS. Where is document() here? ;-)