Re: disable-output-escaping 'mess'

Subject: Re: disable-output-escaping 'mess'
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:29:03 GMT
> a running header is 'marked' as <?$tls`> content<?$tle`>

So, they are not XML files then, as $tls isn't an XML name.
and XML processing instructions end with ?> not >

> using <xsl:output method="xml">
                            ^^^
Hmm (see above:-)

> If I use
> <xsl:text disable-output-escaping><?$tls`></text>
>
> xt and Saxon (quite reasonably?) complain.

Or more exactly xt and saxon don't get to see it at all as
this is not well formed XML so the XML parser you are using
with the xsl system would have rejected this.

> so I end up with
>  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"> <![CDATA[<?$tls`>]]>

or you could have used

 <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"> &lt;?$tls`>

which is the same thing.

> Minor aside, whats the logic in not permitting me to output
> tags when I set xsl:output method="text"?

because text doesn't contain XML markup.

> If I'm dealing in plain text, surely left angle bracket is as good as any
> other character?

Yes and in the text output method a < is output as < but of course you
have to enter the < as &lt; or in CDATA within your stylesheet as
that is XML.

David