Re: Flat file conversion to XML

Subject: Re: Flat file conversion to XML
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:18:55 -0700 (MST)
> Mike Brown wrote:
> Arrg, you a masochist or what?

Haha, well I was half kidding. The poster asked if it was possible, and
the correct answer is not absolutely 'no'.

> Get a script to stick a CDATA whapper around it before you even consider
> submitting it to en XSLT parser...

That would only address the issue of markup characters needing to be
escaped. There is still the issue of UTF-8 being assumed and the issue of
certain characters not being allowed in an XML document (U+0000 through
U+0008 for example).

That's why I suggested Base64, which eliminates markup and disallowed
characters, and keeps everything in a UTF-8-safe range. Of course it
wouldn't be fun to work with, but hey, it's *possible* ... heheh..

> (some bastard stole my cellphone)

Doh! If some bastard offers me a cell phone, I'll buy it back for ya.

- M. (is for masochist)