RE: Is it time for an XSLT-list?

Subject: RE: Is it time for an XSLT-list?
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:28:26 -0400 (EST)
At 4 Apr 2000 10:11 -0400, John E. Simpson wrote:
 > XSL-List has one of my favorite mailing list sigs -- favorite because it's
 > only one line long. I wonder if Mulberry would consider adding,
 > temporarily, a second line, something like "Questions about Microsoft IE5
 > XSL should be directed first to the microsoft.public.xsl newsgroup"? Even
 > if not, they should for their own sanity probably include a caveat to that
 > effect on the main XSL-List info page and lead-in to the archives.

Adding something to the XSL-List page may make a difference, but it's
my experience that mailing list sigs aren't read by very many people.
For example, the signature for the XML-DEV mailing list has for a long
time included the instructions for how to unsubscribe from that list,
but I lost track of the number of people last year who didn't use the
instructions and sent unsubscribe messages to the list.  A surprising
number of those messages contained quotes of previous unsubscribe
messages, including the quoted signature with the instructions for how
to correctly unsubscribe.

Furthermore, the mailing list signature is included in every message
in a XSL-List Digest.  Adding one line to the XSL-List signature adds
10 to 30 more lines to each digest for no good effect.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632