Re: Those pesky  's again

Subject: Re: Those pesky  's again
From: Jeff Lansing <jeff@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 09:54:52 -0700

David Carlisle wrote:

> why do you care about entity references in the result file?

My goal was to use XSLT to produce a file that both
(i) parses as XML (so that it can be run thru XSLT again), and
(ii) displays as HTML, with readable HTML tables
This file has &nbsp;'s in it, which can't be parsed unless '&nbsp;'
is defined in a DTD.
I was hoping to generate an inline DTD for it, but it looks like
generating that part of XML was left out of XSLT.

> To generate a doctype line use the doctype-system attribute to
> xsl:output.

No, this gives me creatures like
(xalan) <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM "[<!ENTITY nbsp '#160'>]">
(saxon) <!DOCTYPE html
                              SYSTEM "[<!ENTITY nbsp '#160'>]">
(xt) nothing at all.

> the browsers will be expecting the unicode character #160.

Yes.
Jeff