Netscape 6 lack of XSL support

Subject: Netscape 6 lack of XSL support
From: "Mark Volkmann" <volkmann@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 06:48:18 -0500
Here are some quotes from
http://www.netscape.com/browsers/future/standards.html#3.

> Rather than supporting the formatting of XML documents through CSS1,
Microsoft has chosen to focus on formatting through XSL. As Tim Bray, a
co-editor of the XML specification has noted:

> "Microsoft's XSL efforts are very impressive, but (readers will pardon us
being something of a broken record on this subject) XSL is in the future."

> He further adds, "It seems obvious to me that for anyone who wants to
deploy XML in production mode right now, XML + CSS is the way to go."

I think these are absurd statements! CSS is far too limited to use for
presenting XML documents. It has zero transformation capabilities! Without
the "content" feature of CSS2 it cannot add new content to the output. It
can't sort. It can't reorder content. I've got to wonder if Tim Bray really
said that last line, "XML + CSS is the way to go".