RE: More <xsl:when> questions!

Subject: RE: More <xsl:when> questions!
From: "Medina, Edward" <emedina@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:04:04 -0400
> NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-) Haha Ok!

> <xsl:template match="packet" >
> 	<xsl:if  test="../packet/para/title">

 This is actually doing what I want it to do, not really a problem
 since I've used this not to display the titles.

> 	<xsl:when
> test="contains(/para/text/@text.role,'normal')">
>
> This query looks for a para element immediately below the
> document root
> so will always return an empty node set, and thus an empty string.
>
> you want
> <xsl:when test="contains(para/text/@text.role,'normal')">

I tried the above but it only returns the first para with a text,
and after that it ingores every para.

> 		 	(<xsl:value-of select="//para/@secur.classif"/>)
>
> This query always, for every packet, returns the value of the first
> secur.classif attribute in the whole document.
>
> you want
>
> 		 	(<xsl:value-of select="para/@secur.classif"/>)

Tried this I get an empty node return, therefore I've used the above
to give me the value of the @secur.classif which is the same through
out the whole document.

> or perhaps
>
> 		 	(<xsl:value-of
> select=".//para/@secur.classif"/>)
> if there are para elements not immediately children of packet.

Haven't tried this, but will do this right away.

> 	<xsl:value-of select="para/text"/>
> ah finally a query that is looking inside the current packet element.
> This one looks right.
>
> David

Again the <xsl:value-of select="para/text"/> only returns the first
para/text encountered in the entire document and all the other instances
there is an empty node return.

What works for me is the following:

<xsl:template match="para">
	<xsl:value-of select="text"/>
	<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:templates>

An this is what I had been using until today, when I changed my xsl and
tried every
format (except the last one noted) and don't get the result that I need.
FYI for those
of you wondering if it was working fine before why change it.  Well I needed
to manage
graphics to place them in a specific area, and I'm still at a loss how
exactly to do that
without having to change their location in the XML.

Thanks for you patience Dave, but I think I'll keep picking at it and see
what
happens.

Eddy