select attribute in apply-templates

Subject: select attribute in apply-templates
From: Richard Bell <RichardBell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:27:12 +0100
SAXON has an extension saxon:node-set() which converts a result tree
fragment to a nodeset so that a statement like

<xsl:apply-templates select="saxon:node-set($y/*)"/>

works, assuming that $y refers to a result tree fragment. I have been trying
to replicate the same functionality using MSXML3 by calling an ActiveX
control. However, using statements like

<xsl:apply-templates select="mynamespace:myMethod($y/*)"/>

fail with a message saying that the expression 'mynamespace:myMethod($y/*)'
does not evaluate to a valid nodeset without calling the method of my ax
control. Wheras statements like

<xsl:value-of select="string(mynamespace:myMethod($y/*))"/>

work fine. It would appear that MSXML3 is treating the expression as a
literal path expression (for the apply-templates element at least) whereas
saxon is interpreting the extension.

Any thoughts?