RE: xsl:element

Subject: RE: xsl:element
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:14:41 +0100
Francis,

The <xsl:output method="xml"/> or method="html" is a top-level stylesheet
element (see XSLT Rec section 16). The file name you give to the output
file has nothing to do with it -- it could be eg.foo and the serialized
format (xml, html, text) would be still be determined by the <xsl:output>
element in the stylesheet. (Obviously it's easier for everybody if you give
a suffix .xml to files with output method="xml", .html to method="html",
etc. But there's nothing magic about the file name.)

If you have no <xsl:output> element in your stylesheet, the default is
method="xml" unless the document element of your result tree is 'html' --
see the spec. In either case, you should get element markup in your output
when you use <xsl:element> in your stylesheet. When method="text", no
element markup appears because no markup appears at all.

Sorry this has been so confusing (and sorry if it's still confusing or if,
once again, we've explained something not to the point) -- sometimes it's
hard to guage exactly what someone is trying to ask, and exactly what they
already know about what they're asking about.

--Wendell