Re: Java API for XSLT

Subject: Re: Java API for XSLT
From: Kyle Downey <kyle.downey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Apr 00 16:59:47 EDT
Amber Archer Consulting is very close to releasing OpenLib/J, a GNU class
library meant for J2EE and XML developers. It includes a package,
org.xml.sax.transform, called SAX/T, modeled very closing after the SAX API
from Megginson. We include drivers for Xalan/J and XT. It provides a very
minimal, common-denominator implementation that provides a

* common StylesheetCompiler interface
* common Stylesheet interface
* common factory
* common "output object"-equivalent (parallel to InputSource)

What's not covered, but could be covered:

* setting parameters
* defining extensions

The latter might be a "fast track" way around the current extension situation.
I have waited on announcing this because I wanted to see if (a) Sun was going
to release the JAXP 1.1 with XSLT support anytime soon and (b) if I could
think of a good way to do extensions.

Instead, I'd rather open this up for discussion. Is this useful? Or does it
just confuse matters, what with JAXP 1.1 on the horizon and possible standards
work from W3C? I'll post the implementation source and docs this weekend for
people to take a look; unfortunately I can't do it tonight.

Amber Archer Consulting plans to release the SAX/T interfaces (in
org.xml.sax.transform) into the public domain, just like SAX. We'd prefer not
to stay the maintainers of things like the Xalan and XT drivers (better that
the implementors track it if SAX/T proves popular), but for discussion
purposes it helps to have at least two implementations of any proposed common
API.

regards,
kd