Re: Implementing " and ' in literals

Subject: Re: Implementing " and ' in literals
From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:37:31 GMT
On 20-04-2000, 01:49:01, Matt Sergeant <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
regarding Implementing " and ' in literals:
> In XML::XPath (perl's XPath processing module) I implemented
translation
> of &quot; and &apos; in literals to " and ' respectively. I know this
> isn't in the spec, so I thought I'd better hash it out a bit first.
I've
> heard people call for this feature before, so I figured it might be
> useful. An alternate way of doing this is to use the C escape
mechanisms,
> although then you'd have to build support way back into the tokenizer,
> which is far harder.

> So what do people think of this? It allows you to do the following in
your
> XSLT:

> <xsl:value-of select="&quot;I'm feeling
&amp;quot;sad&amp;quot;&quot;"/>

That's a big no-can-do.  That should produce the literal:

   I'm feeling &quot;sad&quot;

which, if serialized, would show up as

   I'm feeling &#38;quot;sad&#38;quot;

or some such.  If you re-parse it, you're not going to get the meaning
that the creator of the XPath expression meant.

-Chris