Re: Implementing " and ' in literals

Subject: Re: Implementing " and ' in literals
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:10:07 +0100 (BST)

> Take the following: 'It\'s a nice day'

> Most (all?) XPath tokenizers simply use the following regular expression:

> '[^']*'

> Which with the above, would stop at 'It\', followed by a single NCName
> token "s" which would cause a syntax error.

and "\'" would produce ' instead of \' that it produces on conforming systems?

I can't see why you can't use variables, from perl I'd expect that
that you could assign strings to a variable in _perl_ syntax
with perl quoting, and then reference that variable by $x in a xpath
expression.

This would correspond using xsl syntax to assign variables that you
could reference in an xpath expression used in xsl.

Note xpath itself only has a syntax for referring to variables, not for
assigning them.

David