Q: How to eliminate whitespace using MS XSLT?

Subject: Q: How to eliminate whitespace using MS XSLT?
From: David Steiner <davids@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:23:56 -0400 (EDT)
I'm pretty new at this, but this is what I've gathered.  Apparently, Microsoft
uses a working draft of XSLT, "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";, which does not
contain the same elements as the recommendation
"http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";.  If I'm missing something, let me know.

I need to create files that aren't XML or HTML.  They're text files.  I have
used "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; and the xsl:output element along
with xalan to accomplish this (ie., <xsl:output method="text" />).  However,
the output element doesn't seem to exist in MS XSLT (the WD).
Again, please let me know if I'm missing something.

If I am not missing something, what's the easiest way to accomplish this in
MS XSLT?

Thanks,
David Steiner
Lexis-Nexis