Advice for "conditional" DTD parameter prior to parsing

Subject: Advice for "conditional" DTD parameter prior to parsing
From: Bruce Rosenstock <bbrosenstock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
Folks,

I got one or two responses to a question I submitted about how to
dynamically change the Entity declaration set to either use unicode or
Latin-based transcriptions, depending on client's choice. Since an XSL
transform does not have access to the DTD, I need to go one step back and
substitute an "INCLUDE" into an "IGNORE" in a conditional parameter
declaration in the internal DTD (or invoke another external DTD with this
setting). I wonder if people can suggest the best method for this. I
notice, for example, that the sun Java-X Project's xml parser offers a
Resolver class which responds to DTD events; it also offers XmlRpcServlet
and XmlRpcClient for exchanging messages via HTTP POSTing which can invoke
the Resolver class and write out XML documents. Presumably a servlet chain
could take a POST with a URL to an XML file and a "unicode/ignore"
name/value parameter, write in the correct conditional string (or the
correct PUBLIC ID to the appropriate DTD), then pass the file along to an
XSLT parser. Not being a programmer, I am looking for confirmation of my
hunch about how to do this, or advice about a better way.

All the best,

Bruce Rosenstock
University of California, Davis