Re: Attributes, modes and templates

Subject: Re: Attributes, modes and templates
From: Alex Lancaster <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 May 2000 17:55:11 -0600

DC> Perhaps you should specify exactly what kind of customisation you
DC> want to do.  Normally it is easier to customise by defining higher
DC> priority rules rather than by trying to have a private mode that
DC> you use for customisation.

OK.

DC> To customise Norm's stylesheets you can import the originals and
DC> then redefine any templates you want. import precedence and/or
DC> priority should arrange that any redefined templates of yours are
DC> triggered, but for elements that you have not redefined a template
DC> the original processing will occur.

Understood, my problem with that, is that not all instances of the
elements, I want customized.  I only want subtrees of certain elements
which have a particular attribute set, customized.

i.e. the XML element:

<variablelist>
<!-- element content -->
</variablelist>

would be treated as per Norm's stylesheets.

but the XML element with the `role' atttribute set like so:

<variablelist role="programmers">
<!-- element content -->
</variablelist>

would be treated as per my special customizations, of which only
*some* of the children would actually be specified by me, (say,
`corpauthor' or `phone') and the rest would be as per the stock
stylesheets.

DC> Certainly this does not cover all possibilities, but if you could
DC> give an example of a specific type of customisation that you need,
DC> that isn't handled by this, perhaps someone could suggest
DC> something?

Thanks for the feedback, David:

Actually, I started this thread, with such a concrete example:

 http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/archive/msg11846.html

I included the DocBook XML which I wanted to render using the XSL
stylesheet customization.  If you go back to this example, and ignore
the actual XSL stylesheet that I attempted to write, and just look at
the way I describe my rendering needs, perhaps that would be a
starting point.  I could repost the example, if necessary, just wanted
to save list bandwidth.

Cheers, Alex
--
Alex Lancaster * alex@xxxxxxxxxxx * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242