RE: XSLT book

Subject: RE: XSLT book
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 11:44:21 +0100
> From: CBurdick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:CBurdick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> I saw your announcement on xsl-list regarding your new book.  I'm very
> interested, but none of the online information on the book
> includes a Table of Contents for the book.

Several people have asked for this. I'm asking Wrox to put the information
on their web site, but meanwhile here is a synopsis:

XSLT Programmers Reference by Michael Kay
ISBN 1-861003-12-9, published by Wrox Press

Summary of Contents

The first three chapters describe the concepts you need to understand in
order to use XSLT.

Chapter 1: XSLT in Context
Describes the task XSLT is designed to perform (transformation). Explains
the relationship with other standards in the XML family. Describes the
history of XSLT and the principal characteristics of the language, and gives
some usage scenarios.

Chapter 2: The XSLT Processing Model
Describes the way in which an XSLT processor transforms an input tree into
an output tree. Gives a detailed description of the tree model. Explains how
template rules are selected for processing individual nodes. Defines the way
XSLT uses variables, expressions, and data types.

Chapter 3: Stylesheet structure
Explains the characteristics of a stylesheet. Stylesheet modules and the
xsl:include and xsl:import elements. The <xsl:stylesheet> element and the
<?xml-stylesheet?> processing instruction. Top-level elements. Simplified
stylesheets; template bodies; instructions, extension elements, and literal
result elements. Attribute Value Templates. Extensibility: extension
functions and extension elements; forwards compatibility. Whitespace
handling.

Chapters 4 to 7 contain reference information: detailed specifications,
usage advice, and examples.

Chapter 4: XSL Elements.
Detailed specifications of each XSL element, in alphabetical order. In each
case giving the syntax rules, a description of the effect, examples, and
usage advice.

Chapter 5: XPath Expressions
Detailed definition of the XPath expression syntax, listing the constructs
in alphabetical order. For each construct the chapter includes as well as
the syntax, a description of the effect, examples, and usage advice.

Chapter 6: Patterns
Detailed definition of the XSLT Pattern syntax. For each construct the
chapter includes as well as the syntax, a description of the effect,
examples, and usage advice.

Chapter 7: Functions
Detailed definition of all the XSLT and XPath functions, listed in
alphabetical order. For each function the chapter includes as well as the
syntax, a description of the effect, examples, and usage advice.

Chapters 8 to 10 contain additional information designed to help you get the
most of XSLT.

Chapter 8: Design Patterns
Describes four design patterns for XSLT stylesheets: fill-in-the-blanks,
navigational stylesheets, rule-based stylesheets, and computational
stylesheets. In the last case the chapter gives a detailed description of
how to solve particular computational tasks given that XSLT is a language
free of side-effects, for example it discusses how to write recursive
templates.

Chapter 9: Worked Examples
This chapter gives three detailed descriptions of practical
production-quality stylesheets.

Chapter 10: XSLT Processors
This chapter gives descriptions of those XSLT processors available at the
time of writing, with detailed coverage of Microsoft MSXML3, Oracle XSL,
Apache Xalan, the author's own Saxon product, and James Clark's xt.

Appendix A: MSXML3
Reference API information for MSXML3

Appendix B: Glossary