Re: DTDs schemas and validation WAS RE: DTD Files !

Subject: Re: DTDs schemas and validation WAS RE: DTD Files !
From: ht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: 10 May 2000 09:00:31 +0100
MarkH@xxxxxxxx writes:

> I'm looking at the thorny issue of validation and what seems to be a
> watershed in approaches between content-free DTDs which allow Mike to take
> approach he likes, and content-including schemas, which by virtue of their
> including things like default elements or attribute values, can prevent Mike
> from reading content without also reading and using the validating schema.
>
> I'm reviewing the state of play and then hope to open up a debate. I think
> that it will be appropriate for this list because of the point that Mike
> raises about doing validation within XSLT.

Good idea.  I'd note that XML Schema, by design, does not suffer from
a number of the problems which Mike identified.  In particular, the
schema (or lack of schema) to be used for schema-validation can be
chosen at processing time, it's not rigidly determined by the
document.

The defaulting issue remains, however.

ht
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx