Re: Issuing SQL statements similar to the Cocoon SQLProcessor?

Subject: Re: Issuing SQL statements similar to the Cocoon SQLProcessor?
From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:08:39 -0700
You an do this using the Oracle XSQL Pages technology, using
the command-line 'xsql' utility as opposed to its companion
XSQL Servlet.

You can write a custom action handler to process the input
document in any way necessary, or use the built-in functionality
for doing this kind of database insert of XML.

The XSQL page required to handle the job would look like:

<xsql:insert-request table="yourtable"
                                 connection="yourconnectionname"
                                 xmlns:xsql="urn:oracle-xsql"/>

if the document is already in canonical ROWSET/ROW form, or:

<xsql:insert-request table="yourtable"
                                 transform="sometransform.xsl"
                                 connection="yourconnectionname"
                                 xmlns:xsql="urn:oracle-xsql"/>

to first transform the data, then insert it.

if you need a custom handler solution, the you can build an
action handler that implements the single handleAction() method,
and can call:

      getPageRequest().getPostedDocument()

to get a handle to the XML being processed by the page as posted
XML content.

Your handler can then get access to the database connection
that has been allocated from the pool to your page request with:

      getPageRequest().getJDBCConnection()

and you can do your custom SQL.

The XSQL command-line utility supports "posting"
an XML document to your page explicity with the command line:

  $ xsql YourInsertPage.xsql posted-xml=yourfile.xml

http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml if you want to give it a spin.

Full Doc, Help, and live demos online at:

  http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/demo/demo1.htm

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team