Re: Can XSLT help with overlapping structures (was: XML slice design)

Subject: Re: Can XSLT help with overlapping structures (was: XML slice design)
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:28:05 +0100 (BST)
Linda van den Brink writes:
 > nesting rules. When working with TEI I encountered two possible ways of
 > solving the problem of overlapping structures: using empty elements to mark
 > one of the structures (used by Sydney), for example page breaks, or using
 > elements that you indicate as being interrelated and together representing
 > an element in one of the structures. (In TEI I used SPANs for this)

Your example seems to assume a *non*-overlapping structure, whereas
Sydney had a page break in the middle of a <div>, unless I
misinterpret you. Of course, the TEI has solutions for marking the
start and end of areas, seperately from the <div> structure, using
links, as in

 <pb from="p33"/>
 <pb to="p33"/>

or whatever (no, that isnt valid TEI), which adequately records what
is happening. But I really do not see how to turn this into HTML
pages....

one has to ask *why* Sydney wants to do this splitting up.
why not represent each <pb/> as

 <hr/>
 <a name="pageNNN"/> Page NNN started here
 </hr>

and maintain a page index at the start or end of the document,
allowing people to jump to the page that interests them. yes, it would
be a little more complicated than I imply, but not by much (allowing
for splitting by <div>, for instance)

Sebastian