RE: XSLT processors-which one?

Subject: RE: XSLT processors-which one?
From: "Mabry, F. DR EECS" <df6954@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:42:23 -0400
Instant Saxon is a very useful starting point.  I used it this year at the
Academy with a number of senior capstone projects for non-CS majors.  The
full download for the complete Saxon is worth it.  It includes a great deal
of documentation and examples.  Many of the examples included can be run
with instant Saxon (which is the JAVA implementation bound for use with the
MS JVM that is installed with the IE5.0).  For some of the examples the SUN
JVM is needed and you need the full Saxon download.  I have adapted a number
of XSL transforms to work with instant Saxon.  The fact that the whole
transform processor with parser and all needed run time code fits on a
floppy is very nice when one is trying to teach about the power of XSL-T and
XML.

You might also want to look into RXP (Robin Tobin) which allows well-formed
checking and validation.

Fancy tree viewer is an XSL transform that I have modified to help my cadets
who are trying to write transform systems for XML (I added some structural
and line numbering and white space removal to the style sheet and a few
minor mods to allow it to run under instant Saxon).  Fancy XML Tree Viewer
Version: 3.5 (07 Dec 1999) Author: mbrown@xxxxxxxx (Mike J Brown)

The DTD generator in full Saxon is a very useful support to have and just
trying it with some example XML data will teach a lot about structuring XML
data.

Both of the products by Kay and Tobin are excellent efforts and should allow
you to start learning about what is happening in XSL-T and how the inside of
the DOM (1 and 2) is really structured.

Get back to me if you are interested in any of the learning supports I use
with my students.

Frank
Dr. Frank Mabry
Dept. of EE&CS, U.S. Military Academy