RE: Netscape Support for XSL - client vs server rant

Subject: RE: Netscape Support for XSL - client vs server rant
From: Heather Lindsay <heather.lindsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 13:45:44 -0400
>In so many ways this is a better model of information transfer and
>management. Send the data, send some instructions on how to display it
>/and/ send instructions on other things you can do with it.
>Server-based solutions (servlets or not) always require the overhead of
>the network transfer, and mean that at any time you are looking at only
>a cooked interpretation of the information. It's not true EDI in my
>book, it's just database-driven HTML, and the fact there's some XML
>thrown in there behind the scenes has no perceivable advantage to the
>user.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Client-side transformation is not
the better way to go.  But you can't go to China without a plane or a boat
(to make my own metaphor).  Until IE and netscape FULLY support XML and
XSLT,
server-based solutions are the only way to go.  Maybe it is just
"database-driven HTML" but you can't blame developers for trying to use
new technology in the only way they can find out how.  The only ones you
can blame are microsoft and mazilla for not being able to keep up with
technology that changes every day (are we asking for too much?).

	- Heather :)