ANN: Evaluation Version of RenderX XSL FO Formatter

Subject: ANN: Evaluation Version of RenderX XSL FO Formatter
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 01:07:33 +0400
Dear all,

this is to inform you that an evaluation version of our XSL FO formatter is now
available at http://www.RenderX.com/Download/xep.zip. The product has been
renamed to XEP.

The engine still supports the same ancient, 1999-04-21 XSL working draft as
FO2PDF and FOP; the coverage is only slightly better. The principal difference
between FO2PDF and XEP is the programming language: FO2PDF was written mostly in
Perl, while XEP is in Java (though not a pure Java). So it is not an upgrade of
FO2PDF; it's a brand new product, based on FO2PDF experience but written from
scratch.

The engine uses Xerces to parse the input FO stream. The input is validated
against a DTD (included in the ZIP file). The DTD is richly commented; please
refer to those comments if your file is being rejected by the formatter.

The output is generated by PDFlib 2.01. For Win32, a precompiled version of the
required DLL is included; for other platforms, you will need to build a JNI
shared library from the sources included in the archive.

The evaluation version has the full functionality of the commercial version,
except for a small gray label applied to every page produced, with a hyperlink
to our site. See examples and demos of its usage on our site, www.RenderX.com.
We cannot guarantee any support; however, we are very interested in your
feedback. Feel free to write me asking technical questions e/o reporting bugs; I
will do my best to react promptly.

Please download and enjoy.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev