Re: Netscape Support for XSL - client vs server rant

Subject: Re: Netscape Support for XSL - client vs server rant
From: Keith Visco <kvisco@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 17:27:57 -0700
Hey Sebastian,

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Keith Visco writes:
>  > by a very large number of people. These people (the developers) won't
>  > get paid, they won't get any fame, and they will get very little
>  > recognition. So why do they do it? Because they believe in the
>  > technology, and like you they need products that support that
>  > technology.
>
> You are being a bit disingenuous. There are lots of rewards that
> accrue to free software developers. For instance, you *do* get fame (within
> professional circles), which makes a huge difference when applying for
> jobs.

You only get fame, when your contributions are well recognized. But I do
agree...there are more than just direct monetary rewards. As you state
it looks good on one's resume...which in turn could end up landing you a
better job or a higher salary.

And within each project, as was already pointed out but other people,
there are many reasons and motivations for contributing. I am well aware
of all of this...I too have my reasons for working on a number of
different open source projects...and my reason usually differs depending
on the project.

I was trying, and it wasn't very clear, to state the motivations of the
few people who are doing the contributions on the XSLT module...and this
was not intended to be directed at Mozilla as a whole. I know the people
who are contributing...and the opportunities for recognition are little.
As far as I know...the main motivation is to fill a gap, to provide XSLT
tools on the client side. In my case, the motivation is to fill a
commitment that I made a year ago...when I was working for a different
company. To me, the real reward is seeing the project succeed.

< You get consultancy, ... you often
> re-use your free work to get your day work done.

This is no longer the case for me with respect to XSLT, but it's
definately true... I'd say more often then not, people start
contributing to open source projects out of necessity to get a job
done...whether it's for work, or school...or just plain fun.

> Dont get me wrong, I am on your side; I just recognize that I
> personally (who have put thousands and thousands of hours of my own
> time into free software) have seen benefit from it.

I too have seen the fruits of my contributions to open source projects,
and I completely agree with you. The benefits can be great. But
regardless of that I don't think it's right to criticize people for
donating their time, no matter what the motivation may be. There is
nothing wrong with saying a piece of software is bad. But when you blame
people for not donating more of their time, I think that's wrong.

> I doubt I would have got either my last or my current job without that work I did (and
> do) for free. I invested my time, other people benefitted, I
> benefitted too. The system works.

I agree...

> Equally, when people criticize my
> free work, I don't complain, but try to fix it, because I need that
> (in very limited circles!) fame.

It depends on the situation I think....but I do agree that
*constructive* criticism can be very beneficial.

--Keith