Re: getting element name into html using MSXML3

Subject: Re: getting element name into html using MSXML3
From: "Clementson, Bill" <Bill_Clementson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:53:53 -0600
Dan Morrison wrote:
>> and I have installed the May Preview Release of XSL from MS.  I presume
this
>> means that my ie5 now parses with the updated engine.
>
>Presume nothing, the 'install' seemed to have zero effect on my
>functionality. Seems like Omar omar@xxxxxxxxxxxx has the same confusion.
>I've posted all over to MS but never got a single hint as to what, if
>anything the March release did. The exe just executed and went away most
>disconcertingly.

Unfortunately, MS chose to let the setup program only install the program
components - you need to manually do some stuff to make the March/May
previews actually work (unfortunately again, they only include the
instructions for this in the help file that is in the separately
downloadable sdk). There are a number of options that you can take depending
on whether you want the preview to replace or just complement the standard
IE5 MSXML dll:

l. You want to replace the standard IE5 MSXML dll:
   cd to your windows\system32 directory (or equivalent)
   run xmlinst without any parameters

2. You want to use both the standard msxml dll & the new preview:
   cd to your windows\system32 directory (or equivalent)
   run the following commands:
   xmlinst -u
   regsvr32 msxml.dll
   regsvr32 msxml3.dll

If you do #1, you are running live with the preview msxml - I have found it
to be very stable & it supports both the old 1998 WD namespace & the current
one.

If you do #2, you have to specifically write code to use the old or the new
dll. For example:

Old parser: 	var	xmldoc = new ActiveXObject("MSXML.DOMDocument");
New parser:		var	xmldoc = new
ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument");

Yes, you do write MSXML2.DOMDocument even though the dll is msxml3.dll.

I have written a little utility that I use to test style sheets against the
old msxml, the new msxml & Xalan. It might help you to get started with the
new preview parser. It's at
http://www.geocities.com/bill_clementson/XSLTTesterHelp.htm

Chris Bayes has written a similar utility (his tests old msxml, new msxml,
Saxon & XT).
His is at http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml/index.xml?utils/translate.xml

Hope this helps.

Bill