Re: Xalan to transform only selected elements of XML

Subject: Re: Xalan to transform only selected elements of XML
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 13:57:42 -0600 (MDT)
> I want to remove a few elements. In other words, I want only some of the
> elements of XML to get transformmed. It seems that
> even *with* and *without* following lines in .XSL file
> <xsl:template match="/">
>    <xsl:apply-templates/>
> </xsl:template>
> the value of all the elements are getting transformeed

This isn't Xalan-specific, and as such is on-topic :)

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#built-in-rule reveals that there is a built-in
template for the root node that does exactly what you wrote, so that's
why it doesn't matter if you put it in or not.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Applying-Template-Rules explains "In
the absence of a select attribute, the xsl:apply-templates instruction
processes all of the children of the current node, including text nodes."

If you want only certain children to be processed, use the
select="foo" attribute, where foo is an XPath expression identifying the
nodes, relative to the current one, that you want to process.

   - Mike