Re: XSL Performance

Subject: Re: XSL Performance
From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Jun 2000 13:50:00 +0200
* Kay Michael

| Eight tips for how to use XSLT efficiently:
|
| 1. Keep the source documents small. If necessary split the document
| first.
| [...]
| 8. Split complex transformations into several stages.

I find these two tips interesting. What, exactly, do you mean with the
first one? Should one split big documents into several smaller pieces
and then process each piece in turn? If so, why?

Also, is the intention behind 8. to simplify the transformations and
thereby make them more efficient?

| 8. To output the text value of a simple #PCDATA element, use
|    <xsl:value-of> in preference to <xsl:apply-templates>.

I suppose using xsl:for-each instead of xsl:apply-templates is another
example of bascially the same technique.

--Lars M.