Re: XSL-list name discrimination!

Subject: Re: XSL-list name discrimination!
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:35:50 -0600 (MDT)
> My posts to the XSL-list seem to take an amazingly long
> time to make the round-trip back to me, and I think the
> cause might be my name!

That's happening to most everybody, and is a factor of how far down in
the svbscriber file your address appears, and some additional
inefficiency inherent in Sendmail, the MTA used by the system running the
list. There may also be, as you noted, a bottleneck further downstream at
ability.net, where mail is apparently queuing as well.

Busy mailing lists use an amazing amount of bandwidth, and systems that
host multiple lists can get bogged down with mail delivery tasks very
quickly. Based on my own experience with this problem, I have recommended
that mulberrytech's ISP switch from Sendmail to qmail, but was told that
it's not likely to happen. The other option is to switch from Majordomo
to a mailing list manager that does its own queuing optimizations, rather
than relying on the MTA, but this isn't a painless process, either, as
Majordomo, despite its flaws, is very easy to use, from a list admin's
point of view.

Anyway, I try to get into the habit of cc'ing my replies to the original
author so they don't have to wait.

   - Mike