RE: xslt editor features

Subject: RE: xslt editor features
From: "Jon Wynacht" <jwynacht@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:49:25 -0000
Manoj,

Please see responses inline:

I have tried to transform XML to nicely formatted html document
using some of the XSLT editors in the market (IBM, Excelon, etc.).

Most of these editors require good knowledge of XSLT. Since XSLT
is a complicated language, I have decided to build a GUI tool
which makes XML to HTML and WML transformations possible without
any knowledge of XSLT.

Before I invest the time and energy on this huge task, I want
to check with XSLT users to get the answers to the following
questions:

1. Is such a tool desirable? Would you love to have access to
such a tool?

Yes! Yes! And yes! A tool like this we be an incredible boost for my team. I
also evaluated the tools on the market and was not too impressed with their
ability to make XSLT "simpler." I know the language well, but I have other
developers who are coming from a content engineering perspective and don't
have much programming experience. They need to get up to speed quickly with
XSLT and a tool like you describe would be wonderful.

2. What features are desirable in such a tool?

How about a wysiwyg type of tool where you could get list box of all the
elements in a particular xml file and drag and drop their content onto a
panel. From there you could apply various styles (a la Dreamweaver) and on
the back end, the logical (!) xslt would be inserted.

Sounds daunting to me but if I can help in any way, let me know.

Jon

3. Anything else I should be aware of?

Your valuable  input will greatly influence the next generation
of XSLT editor.

Thanks a lot.

Manoj Agarwala