Problems with sort.

Subject: Problems with sort.
From: "Brian Burridge" <brian_burridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 17:04:14 -0400
I'm still not able to get my sort to work, unfortunately. Again, here is my XML
document and XSL. I want it to sort by whatever the element is in /PAGE/@sort.
I have tried so many combinations to try and tell it where to find the
attribute @sort. I'm assuming that not finding it is what's causing it not to
sort.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PAGE title="Display Projects" sort="title">
<projects>
                <project>
                                <number>
                                        1114
                                </number>
                                <title>
                                        Test Title
                                </title>
                                <site_code>
                                        INCTM
                                </site_code>
                                <department>
                                        0
                                </department>
                </project>
</PAGE>

<xsl:template match="projects">
  <xsl:apply-templates>
   <xsl:sort select="Here is where I need help!"/>
  </xsl:apply-templates>
 </xsl:template>

Brian

Kay Michael wrote:

> > I have this code:
> >
> >   <xsl:apply-templates>
> >    <xsl:sort select="/PAGE/@sort"/>
> >   </xsl:apply-templates>
> >
> > It doesn't give an error, but isn't sorting by the value of
> > "/PAGE/@sort".
>
> Since the sort key is an absolute path, its value doesn't depend on the
> context node, so it will have the same value for every node in the node-set
> you are trying to sort. Sort keys should normally be relative paths.
>
> Mike Kay

Brian N. Burridge
Internet Architect
(727) 399-3000 Ext 3515
The Internet Group - ITSS
Cox Target Media

"Until a person can say deeply and honestly, "I am what I am today because of
the choices I made yesterday," that person cannot say, "I choose otherwise."